We are excited to collaborate with the team at Mind Pump Media on a five part series to bring you some kettlebell exercises and movements designed to build your physique and muscle mass with kettlebells. Our goal is always to create helpful, informative and safe content for you to explore the world of kettlebells and we think using kettlebells for building muscle mass is an untapped area in our world and theirs. The guys at Mind Pump have a really popular podcast in which they shed truth on health, fitness and a host of other topics by providing unique perspectives about workout programs, supplements and faux science. They are all experienced, certified professionals and are unique even in their own space because of their approach to training by incorporating tools like kettlebells into a space in which they are under utilized. Let us get to it!
There is a misconception that kettlebells are only good for functional training. They are also really good for body building and aesthetic training. Mind Pump will show you a muscle building, pump inducing combo with a super set of front loaded kettlebell squats and back loaded kettlebell lunges.
Superset For #Legday, It's A Thing.
You can get some phenomenal results with kettlebells added to your routine. When training for aesthetics you want to maximize the pump and focus on particular muscles, which you can with kettlebells. You can use kettlebells similar to how you have used barbells and dumbbells to provide a stimulus to your muscles but you can do more by isolating those muscles in ways that you are unable to with dumbbells and barbells as well as gain mobility. For example, Mind Pump suggests using kettlebells on front loaded squats (demonstrated below) because a lot of bodybuilders have a hard time with internal rotations of the shoulders and using kettlebells helps with the mobility because it is easier to get into the front rack position.
Front Loaded Kettlebell Squats
- Using two kettlebells, start by picking up the kettlebells like a deadlift and getting into the rack position (demonstrated below)
- Kettlebells rest on arms, arms are tight into the body. You will feel more here in your thoracic then you do with traditional barbell front squats, also you will get a lot more quads and core in with this front squat compared to traditional back squat
- Squat down into a deep squat and come back up, since you are training for aesthetic you will take the negative a little bit slower than you would on a power movement
- Aim for 10-14 reps and immediately switch to the next movement
Leg Building Demonstration by the team at Mind Pump
Do 10-14 reps of each exercise and then rest before repeating each back to back for a few sets. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells from Kettlebell Kings. We have weights ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells.
Back Loaded Kettlebell Lunge
- Drop one of the kettlebells, step in front of the other kettlebell, grab it and hold it behind your back with both hands (demonstrated in video)
- Emphasis on pulling your shoulder blades back and depressing them while holding the kettlebell, the weight rests behind your body which will focus on the posterior chain and give you more hip extension.
- Take a step forward into the lunge
- Drive your hips forward to come out of the lunge and repeat with the other leg
Do 10-14 reps of each exercise and then rest before repeating each back to back for a few sets.
Make sure to watch out for the next four videos in our series with Mind Pump, we will be creating more posts just like this one to designed to teach you about different ways you can use kettlebells for building muscle, whether it be for yourself or for physique competitions.
What Is Next?
If this is your first time reading one of our posts, we create kettlebell workouts like this one in collaboration with kettlebell lifting champions and experts which are designed to give you maximal results and not take up much of your time. We send these to your in box automatically every week! We recommend you read more about receiving a quick, free, dynamic kettlebell workout every week you can click below.
Also, we recommend you subscribe to our posts so you can be notified when we publish helpful content for kettlebell workouts. We cover topics like technique, how to chalk a kettlebell, breakdown of kettlebell movements, strength building and kettlebell workouts for specific niches like combat sports and fitness competitions. Additionally, you can be notified when we publish new articles about specific kettlebell movements or techniques as well as niche pieces like this designed for specific training. You can do that through the sign up form at the bottom of this post.
Kettlebell Kings is based in Austin, Texas, we create a wide range of kettlebells ranging from 2Kg|5Lb to 92Kg|203Lb kettlebells. Used in the demonstration are Steel Standard and Competition Kettlebells. All orders have Free Shipping and ship the same day if ordered before 5 PM Central Time.
About Mind Pump:Mind Pump has collaborated with Kettlebell Kings to make some awesome videos demonstrating how kettlebells can be used for aesthetics and bodybuilding. You can find more from Mind Pump on iTunes, Sticher, Podcast Republic or Google Play. Also, check out their YouTube channel Mind Pump and their website www.MindPumpMedia.com.